Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Church Party!

After we landed in Denver last Thursday, as we waited for the bus that would take us to the lightrail that would take us to the hotel, I checked my phone and had a message from a lady from church. All I could make out over the sound of idling bus engines was:

"from church"
"wine"
"dessert"
"my place"
"Wednesday"

I immediately planned on going. Maybe it was the fact that it was on a Wednesday? I don't know. So that's where we went tonight. A church party. The hostess' house was in a nearby charming neighborhood, and the house was adorable, sort of a gingerbread house embraced by ivy. It was a lovely evening and people were sitting out on a deck on the side of the house, and everyone was very welcoming. But as I sat down I smelled dog excrement. Here is my thought process upon smelling that smell and doing the meet-and-greet.

"Oh that's a shame, otherwise the ambiance is great."
"Kind makes me lose my appetite."
"I wonder if everyone else can smell it."
"Where's Stanley?"
"Oh, he's dragging his shoes around on the grass."

The hostess was so nice about it and actually took Stanley's shoes and cleaned them up for him. She felt really bad that her dog, Moses*, had ruined Stanley's entrance. Moses didn't seem phased. He just wanted to mount Sinai, the other dog. I'm just kidding. There was no other dog.

After that fiasco faded into the recent past, we enjoyed the party. It was just like every other party except that the topic of religion came up a little more often. Okay, a LOT more often. I guess it would be kind of weird if it didn't. I found it refreshing to talk about religion at a party. Usually one is compelled to skirt the issue at social events, to avoid offending or igniting the theists, the atheists, or both. But I think we found a church full of people who want to believe but defy anyone to prevent them from questioning and exploring their faith.

So, it was a terrific evening.

When I googled images on the theme "church party", I got some pretty lame pictures, in addition to this blow-up church. Enjoy.



*Name not changed.

No comments: