Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolutions for Zolo. What the Heck.


(Sorry about the font weirdness. I am not able to fix it and I don't know why.)

Hi everybody! I hope your Zolo is better than your Zoog. Because that's what we should call this upcoming year: Zolo. There is a lot of faux uproar in the blogosphere about what to call it. Two thousand ten? Too long! Two thousand AND ten? Way too long! Twenty ten? Weird! It's a silly thing to get into words about. Just pick something and call it that, and if something else feels better eventually, call it that.

A good song to
listen to as this year comes to an end is David Bowie and Queen's "Under Pressure". Gee, what a coincidence: that's what Stanley happens to be playing right now. I made him play it again. I think it expresses the feeling of the year pretty well, for me personally as well as for some other people I know and for the country. We've been challenged this year and we've come through it better than we were when we went into it. Just think: this time last year, we had an idiot president and a terrible looming economic catastrophe on our hands. Now, not so much. Well, it may be a catastrophic economy, but at least it's no longer looming. This is ourselves under pressure!

I had my check-up today. I debated whether to share this as it may be TMI but what the heck. I am one cm dilated and 50% effaced, which apparently means nothing at all. The doctor feels it's most likely I'll go a few days past my due date. Of course, anything can happen. Stanley is a little melancholy this evening, because it's 6 hours until midnight and still no labor, which means we don't get the child tax credit this year unless something really drastic happens. Yesterday he went so far as to suggest that if I pushed Blueberry out this year, I alone could decide how we spend the money. I tried to get her out but, so far, have failed.

Do you have any New Year's resolutions? For the last few years I have done myself a favor and let myself off the hook for resolutions, but this year I have one: to love my daughter. That should be easy, so I'm going to add one more: to bake a cheesecake. In my whole life, I have not baked a cheesecake, not even from a mix. But I don't want to set myself up for failure by setting the bar too high, so I will change it to simply eat cheesecake at some point during the year. What the heck, let's add a few more:

Hazel's New Year's Resolutions:
  1. Love my daughter.
  2. Eat cheesecake.
  3. Lose at least 10 pounds, all in one day.
  4. Recycle something.
  5. Change at least 2000 diapers.
  6. Go outside.
  7. Make a phone call.
I'll stop there. No need to get carried away.

Any fun New Year's plans? My physician's assistant asked me that question today and I told her I was going to get really really drunk. She laughed as though she thought I was joking. I guess that's not the worst reaction one could hope for. But seriously, some friends are coming over for a mellow night of board games and cocktails. My goal is to stay up past midnight. Wish me luck.

I highly suggest that if you aren't already doing it, you should find some music from your past and play it tonight. It is really helping me get into that Auld Lang Syne spirit.

Happy New Year! Drink a cup of kindness.

No comments: